A highly-successful and rapid-growing technology company is seeking a Senior Electronics & Systems Engineer to join their team. The Senior Electronics & Systems Engineer is responsible for all aspects of specified key Company projects, ensuring that the electronic and systems engineering is delivered safely, efficiently, effectively to quality and specification.
Working within a matrix structure and alongside Project Management, they will empower assigned project teams to deliver on time, to budget and specification. In addition, they will mentor, coach and develop identified key staff members to enable more efficient working practices, increase the technical skill levels whilst embed and improve process disciplines.
The Senior Electronics & Systems Engineer provides the creative technical flair and constructively challenges current system architectures whilst offering and justifying alternative approaches / technologies.
This role requires an individual that possesses a broad depth of best practice technical experience from a volume-based business with a technically challenging product. They also need to be cognisant of the need to understand market requirements and commercial implications of product delivery.
CORE SYSTEMS TECHNOLOGIES:
- Establish a core understanding of existing products operating principles;
- Review of key technical sub systems and their interaction;
- Gain a detailed understanding of product and sub system specifications;
- Identify weaknesses / opportunities for improvements;
- Gain an understanding of product and sub system regulation / compliance needs.
- Develop a clear understanding of competitors products and their strengths and weaknesses;
- Maintain competitor technical assessment matrix;
- Work closely with Marketing to define next generation product(s) specifications;
- Constructively challenge specifications;
- Jointly present product specification/s with Marketing and formally gain Senior Management approval;
- Maintain / update product specification document with Marketing.
- Recommend resources required to form project team to conduct system architecture definition;
- Manage assigned project team;
- Define an overall system architecture;
- Identify most appropriate sub system technologies with respect to both cost & performance;
- Ensure TRL (Technology Readiness Level) is appropriately understood and factored into development requirements;
- Establish risk register for system architecture and sub systems;
- In conjunction with Project Management resources develop a project plan for product delivery along with resourcing requirements and budgets;
- Present and gain approval for system architecture from Senior Management.
- Utilise a structured and best practice NPI (New Product Introduction) process to deliver the project against time, specification and cost metrics;
- Be the technical authority for the complete product;
- Manage assigned project team and work closely with Project Management to deliver the new product(s) on time, budget and to agreed specification(s);
- Identify sub system work packages;
- Define subsystem specifications and interfacing requirements;
- Conduct formal design reviews and maintain risk registers;
- Seek opportunities for IP protection;
- Engage with current and new suppliers at a detailed technical level;
- Attend trade shows as required;
- Continually review emerging and adjacent technologies and work closely with R&D and input to their development road map.
TESTING & VALIDATION
- Leveraging from sub system and full system risk registers develop a comprehensive test programme;
- Identify required resources and facilities (internal and external) to deliver test programmes;
- Manage the test / qualification / approvals / certification programmes;
- Through diligent detailed design and testing ensures products exceed all necessary market regulatory standards;
- Ensure detailed and comprehensive test documentation and reporting is maintained;
- Ensure risk registers are updated progressive.
- Work alongside Project Management resources to deliver the project(s);
- Be self-organised with good administrative skills;
- Aspire to and maintain high standards of house keeping;
- Ability to estimate task durations and resource requirements;
- Ability to manage a number of tasks concurrently and meet deadlines.
- Prepare and present formal progress reports to internal stakeholders as required;
- Support Marketing with customer presentations / meetings.
- The post-holder will be required to undertake such duties as may reasonably be expected. All members of staff are expected to be professional, co-operative and flexible within the needs of the post, the department and the Company.
- Duties of the post could vary from time to time as a result of new legislation, changes in technology or policy. In this event, appropriate training will be provided.
- Bachelor’s degree (or equivalent qualification) in electronics engineering plus active certification in an engineering professional organisation;
- Extensive experience in electronics systems engineering with a volume-based product;
- Significant experience in the delivery of customer projects on time, to specification and budget;
- Must have experience working in a matrix project structure and leading teams of individuals from a variety of different backgrounds and disciplines;
- Ability to quickly grasp new technology concepts and to see their application in improving products that are being developed;
- Firm advocate of using best practice engineering process methods to deliver quality products;
- Demonstrated ability for team and department management in a multi-discipline matrix scenario;
- Proven ability to present company’s products and strategies at high-level customer reviews as required;
- Experience of DFM, design for manufacture and test;
- Experience of product validation and testing procedures;
- Ability to provide creative technical flair to system architectures;
- Cognisant of the need to understand market requirements and commercial implications of product delivery;
- Adaptable, flexible, customer focused, intuitive, high initiative, good interpersonal skills, organised, savvy, people and team development oriented, results focused, self-driven and self-developing;
- In depth knowledge of principles of engineering and engineering design experience;
- Exceptional organisational and time management skills with thorough attention to detail;
- Able to collaborate and bridge the communications gap between the engineering team, other areas of the business and clients;
- A clear and confident communicator to all business levels;
- Must be able to draft clear and comprehensive reports;
- Ability to draft, review, and evaluate engineering specifications and drawings;
- Must possess a high level of technical acumen;
- Location: Gloucestershire/Herefordshire/Worcestershire;
- Due to the office location, candidates will require a full UK driving licence and own transport;
- 35 hours per week.
- Highly competitive salary (depending on skills and experience).