A global leader in the provision of systems engineering and software development for the security, civil and commercial markets is seeking a Solution Architect to join their team in the UK.
The Solution Architect is the design lead (chief architect) for a portfolio of business pursuits from opportunity identification through business development support, information presentation and demonstrations, proposals support and successful programme launch. The role has significant customer-facing content and requires a proven ability to engage successfully with customers to understand and elaborate needs, and generate and evolve potential solutions ‘live’ in customer dialogue.
As the Solution Architect, you will be the design lead for programmes with a significant emphasis on networked electronic warfare and command / control / communications, delivered via a range of legacy and new platforms and customer infrastructure. The design will factor in all defence lines of development. The role will be the design lead for a franchise with multiple bids/programmes individually ranging from £100k to £100m.
As the successful candidate, you will be responsible for delivering innovative solutions to challenging customer problems. You will engage directly with customers to capture business requirements and transform these through analysis and design into system solution designs.
You will educate and energise the team throughout the engineering lifecycle to ensure the successful and focused delivery of solutions which acknowledge technical, schedule, and cost constraints. You will work with external and internal senior stakeholders to shape the problem and to gain acceptance for the solution.
- Providing support to the Business Development and Capture Management teams including identification and leadership of technical activities in support of marketing and opportunity qualification;
- Being a principal technical representative and ambassador of the Company to customers in this business area;
- Generation of common, tailored technical solutions for all programmes within the franchise, providing technical solutions to complex problems which require the regular use of ingenuity and creativity and alignment with business and commercial elements of solutions;
- Leadership of multi-disciplined technical staff assigned across the franchise, including permanently-assigned staff and staff shared with other programmes;
- Generation of White Papers, Requests for Information/Proposal responses, and delivery of appropriate external events such as demonstrations, conference exhibitions and presentations;
- Generation of Should-Costs, estimates, resource and staffing requirements, nominal schedules, opportunity qualification activities, competitive analysis;
- Creating alignment between opportunities and existing and planned products, including reach-back to US and international business units for product identification and influencing;
- Providing support to capture events including strategy development, competitive analysis and internal/independent reviews;
- Analyse business & market strategies and developing product/technology roadmap(s) for assigned area of responsibility;
- Planning and delivery of IRAD and Capital projects to align with business goals;
- Providing visibility of activities to stakeholders.
- Development of external relationships including across the Company, customers, user, other businesses, universities and lab engagements, including securing third party investments;
- Provide extensive technical expertise to engineering teams throughout the engineering lifecycle;
- Lead and provide guidance on the successful completion of major programmes;
- Represent the organisation as a prime technical contact on projects, interacting with senior external personnel on significant technical matters;
- Lead discussions with customers during requirements capture and analysis and design formulation – transforming operational needs into technical requirements specifications that are suitably testable.
The Company is a leading provider of systems engineering, software development and complex programme management for global security, cyber, civil and commercial markets.
- Proven experience in similar roles working to industry best practice standards;
- Proven customer-focussed attitude and ability to understand customer business and technical needs, and develop requirements into solutions that acknowledge technical, schedule and cost constraints;
- Clear and concise communication and presentation skills with an ability to convey complex technical concepts in a clear and concise manner to technical and non-technical stakeholders;
- Enthusiastic self-starter with the ability to work with all levels of Engineering, Programme Management and leadership;
- Able to demonstrate strong technical leadership within a busy operational environment whilst providing guidance and mentoring to other Engineers;
- Previous demonstrable experience of designing and delivering complex integrated enterprise solutions, including distributed wide area networked services, electronic warfare/cyber and complex multi-layer architecture;
- Familiarity with Architecture standards such as MODAF, DODAF, TOGAF, GVA;
- Proven experience in complex system design, integration and test, performance analysis, particularly in the defence C4ISR domain;
- Technical confidence in a customer facing/consultation role;
- Proven leader with good communication skills with ability to present solution designs to customers and internal team resources. First-class stakeholder management skills;
- Ability to create clear and effective reports suitable for customer acceptance;
- Security clearance required: SC;
- Location: Gloucestershire (with regular site visits in Hampshire and Wiltshire).
- Domain experience in electronic warfare, including radio-frequency detection and countermeasures, software defined radios;
- Domain experience in military communications networks;
- Domain experience in military vehicle integration;
- Experience with system modelling toolsets;
- Experience in working in Electronic Warfare and/or Cyber domains;
- Enterprise integration architecture;
- Data architectures.
- £80,000 to £90,000 (depending on experience);
- Attractive benefits;
- Hours: 37.5 per week.